Dr. Ketan Patel joined St. John’s University as an Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutics in September 2016. He holds PhD in Pharmaceutics from Institute of Chemical Technology (formerly UDCT), Mumbai, India (2013); M.Pharm from Mumbai University, India (2009) and B.Pharm from Sardar Patel University, India (2007). He was awarded AICTE and UGC-SAP fellowships for securing all India first rank in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)-2007 and ICT PhD entrance test-2009, respectively. Post completion of his PhD, he joined Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Florida A&M University, FL, USA as a Postdoctoral Fellow on an NIH-funded research project. During his postdoctoral tenure (Jan. 2014 – June 2016), he worked on various projects; Targeted nanotherapeutics for lung & breast cancer treatment, overcoming drug resistant in lung cancer, topical formulations for chemoprevention & psoriasis treatment. During, his PhD and postdoc, he has received a number of oral/poster/travelship awards for presenting his research work at various international conferences including AAPS, CRS, ACCP, GRASP and IPC. Dr. Patel has authored 60 publications in peer-reviewed journals in the field of Pharmaceutics, Nanomedicine and Cancer. He has filed 3 US patents for his innovative formulation pertaining to the treatment of cancer and psoriasis. He recently received Melanoma Research Scholar Award for his research proposal on metastatic melanoma targeted nanomedicine. Currently, he is mentoring 5 graduate and two undergraduate students working in the area of cancer nanotechnology (Melanoma, Pancreatic cancer), 3D printing, abuse deterrent formulation, remdesivir formulation for COVID19, solubility and bioavailability enhancement techniques. He received NIH grant for development of oral nanoparticles for the treatment of drug resistant melanoma. His laboratory is actively working on PROTAC class of target protein degraders for cancer treatment.
St. John’s University, New York
- Teaching undergraduate students
- Setting up lab and purchasing necessary instruments
- Train masters and graduate students for various formulation techniques and planning their research projects
Florida A&M University, Tallahassee, FL.
- Formulation development, in vitro and in vivo characterization of novel formulation in psoriasis, cancer and inflammation.
- Writing publications and grant reports Initiate new research project and develop grant.
- Mentoring graduate students, Assign and co-ordinate their projects, Teaching them various formulations, analytical and cell culture techniques.
Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, India
- Learning various formulation, analytical, cell culture and animal model techniques Planning and independently working on PhD research projects
- Mentoring undergraduate students for small research and review projects
- Teaching assistant for undergraduate lab Part of organizing committee of various international conferences
Bombay College of Pharmacy, Mumbai, India
- Learning various formulation techniques and research methodology